Skip to main content

Express Review – The Woman Without Fear

 Here's a train I'd like to jump on, just to see where it goes. When I heard that Daredevil 25 was out again as a second printing I was intrigued. Daredevil has always been a fascinating character to me, both as a reader and collector. As a collector, second prints in the past were like crushed stale potato chips, first prints are typically where it's at and that usually holds true even now. Something strange has been happening in the already bizarre world of comics though, and my theory is that because second prints are now often released with new cover variants you just can't guarantee which print might fetch the higher price. If a book is hot nowadays it's probably worth picking up the 2nd print, if the cover is a decent variant. 

Daredevil 25 2nd Printing (purchased)

Daredevil 25's creative team (Chip Zdarsky writing & Marco Checchetto drawing) overall did good work on the issue. The first half of the book had good pacing and had sufficient dialogue and visuals to support some forward story movement. The book broke down and fell flat when the 1st appearance of Elektra as Daredevil was shown. The suit design is excellent, but it had almost no lead up and she just appeared in the new costume, followed by a decontextualized action sequence that seemed forced by both the the writer and artist. 

As a collector this one is going to be important as there is no doubt about the first appearance of Elektra as Daredevil. However, I think the faults in this book land with the writer, it felt called in and casual. If I catch wind of a potential key in this run I will pick it up, but the train I was excited to jump on turned out to be a slow bus. Adding some more panels and dialogue would have allowed for more context and connection to the reader. Oh and one more thing while we are talking about writing. I think if you are writing a book that does not allow swearing/cursing or whatever you want to call it just leave it out. Writing in symbols like #@$*! to replace swear words is not effective writing, you're supposed to be creative, find another sentence or word. When I read that kind garble in the dialogue it makes me check out of the story for a minute. 

Bottom line: Collect this one, don't collect all of it. Unless you are a diehard Daredevil fan, in which case just keep on truckin.

Stay focused fellow humans!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Express Review Dos – Spiderman 56 & 57

Let's just tackle two Spiders with one review. I'm probably never going to abandon the Amazing Spiderman, it was one of the first comics I bought with my own money and I wish I had all of those issues today – such is the life of a collector. Back in the '90s (when I was much younger) I couldn't get enough of all the Spiderman / Ben Reilly 1994 - 1996 clone stories. At the time Mark Bagley designed the Scarlet Spider costume and I vividly remember his style of drawing.  Well, here we are decades later and Bagley is drawing Spiderman again. Bagley's work is consistent but is starting to feel a little outdated, and not in a nostalgic way. I love old Romita Sr, Buscema, and Kirby comics just to name a couple – I'm having a harder time with Bagley this year. An example would be Arthur Adams, even though he seemed a bit snarky to me at a convention I went to, there is no doubt Adams' work is both masterful and has become better with age. Bagley's work feels st

Express Review – Future State: The Next Batman

For the sake of time, I'm only going to focus on the first story in the oversized 64 page - Future State: The Next Batman issue #1. As a reader, I needed more set up to care about the new Batman Tim Fox. The character is showing some real promise, but writer John Ridley just threw us into the story which felt more of a tell than a show. I will say there are good points. Ridley wrote some convincing moments with the Bane-litos gang recruiting new members and an interaction between ex-partner street cops. I will also give Ridley credit in that the page count he was working with was dismal. Shame on DC for not at least allowing the writer to develop the full 64 pages for the new Batman.  The drawing was good for this first story. Nick Derington has some really decent pages in here, especially with the action shots. Denington makes consistent use of shadows, which is a must to maintain the look and fee l of Gotham City. Some panels also had a Judge Dredd tone (which is a good thing) mi

Express Review – Immortal Hulk 42

The Immortal Hulk 42 is scratching my comic itches, and it took me a little while to put the elements together. The writing is solid with good dialogue that moves you through the story and keeps a good pace. Al Ewing (the writer) seems to be laying a foundation for the next issue as there wasn't much action in this one, but something interesting is happening with the Jackie McGee character that could make this a Key issue or at least preluding to one in the next couple of months.    The art was slightly mashed as the credits show four artists working on this standard 28-page issue and I think the colorists help hold the line for continuity where the art changes weren't too jarring. The page layouts weren't flashy or minimal (which I appreciate) and the pacing, art, and story have an old school Swamp Thing vibe going on – if you don't know what I mean those earlier Swamp Thing runs are worth a read. I'm not saying this book is the second coming of Alan Moore, but I a